Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Twenty Second Day: Mermaid story

So I was so pleased with how my mermaid turned out for my Van story that I decided to do a story with mermaids as the characters. The story revolves around two sisters, Eliza and Minerva, who are daughters of the Queen. The live in a underwater city know as Hark, Minerva is a born warrior, and is the captain of the queens guard. Eliza is due to become the queen someday, and though not as skilled in the fighting arts as her sister she is quite skilled when it comes to magic. The two sisters love each other dearly and are always seen together, Minerva though sometimes quiet and reserved, when shes around Eliza she is a loud and fun loving as ever.

The perfect life is thrown into chaos when the castle is attacked by Reevers, a type of mermaid less sophisticated and more violent. As Minerva and Eliza race to the Queen's chambers they arrive in time to witness her murdered by Odette, a mermaid they have only heard of in gossip and rumors. She was banished from the kingdom when she attempted to overthrow it years ago.


When designing the characters I wanted to make Minerva and Eliza different looking but similar at the same time. I feel I accomplished that very well. I loved drawing Odette, my original plans for her were to be an old hag but my hand just went on its own and started drawing this beautiful but evil looking woman. I knew I wanted to give her a different tail, I knew I wasn't going to do octopus tentacles, because then it would be too "Little Mermaid" so I thought what is one of the more sinister creatures of the sea, and it hit me "Eels". I love how her tail turned out and it really add to her "evilness".

No comments:

Post a Comment